Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Week Fourteen: Science Fiction Parody and Satire


            For the last blog post we were asked to read in the genre of Science Fiction Parody and Satire. The reading selection we were asked to read orlisten to was Douglas Adams’ Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy. Before taking this class I have heard of the title of this piece of work but I’ve never seen nor read it but I have always wanted to. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a comedy science fiction series and originally a radio comedy broadcast. Later it was adapted to other formats, and over several years it gradually became an international multi-media phenomenon.
            I really like this novel. There were a lot of parts that I thought were very cute and made the storyline very quirky. For an example one of the major characters is an alien from a small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse and a researcher for the eponymous guidebook, who named himself Ford Prefect. He named himself after the Ford Prefect car to blend in with what was assumed to be the dominant life form, automobiles. Another part of the novel that I thought was interesting and funny was that the planet earth got turned into a massive computer. This massive computer was designed answer what is life and the computers answer was the number 42. As I was reading that section of the novel all I was thinking about was the death star in Star Wars because the concept of planet earth being a giant computer is close to death Star in Star Wars. Overall it is not enjoyable read and very cute and funny.
I recommend reading the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy because it is a fun quirky trilogy. Also I recommend you should read all five of the books in the trilogy to see the differences between them because each book uses the same underlying characters but they do different things. Last but not least I also recommend listening to the radio broadcast of the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy.

No comments:

Post a Comment